Tuesday, March 24, 2009

As good as it gets. Waking up!

I was young twenty years old and living in Tucson, AZ. the year was 1971. In those days Tucson was filled with young hippy types from all over the country. I and a good friend Steve had come to Arizona looking for work in the copper mines. It was a bitterly cold winter some of the mines had shut down due to burst gas pipe line or so they said. We traveled around the state looking for a good time and work. We weren't long hairs didn't drink or smoke any of that funny tobacco. We did smoke cigarettes.
We took a trip to Grand Canyon. We got there in the middle of the night pitch black overcast with clouds and the ground covered in snow. I wanted to get out and look at the canyon in the moon light. As I mentioned clouds there was no moon light. You don't have to be on drugs to be stupid. Sometimes you are just stupid. I walked off towards the rim in the dark. I was trucking along when I tripped over a rock in the snow. I caught myself with one big step my chest just bouncing off my thigh. I was bent over and I could hear a strange sound in the silent darkness. A great ocean of moving air was in front of me. I pricked up my ears at the sound and noticed that the white of the snow ended at the tip of my shoe. I began to think the better of my Grand Canyon in the moon light idea. I turned around and followed my tracks as best I could to the car. We left to find an off the beatten path place to beddown for the night.
The next morning after a very cold night sleeping in my 59 Ford Station Wagon thank god for bench seats in a big automobile. The motor barely turned over the next morning it was so cold. The battery was a trooper it cranked and cranked and finally began to pop and sputter I just kept cranking finally it began to turn over and could make enough power to keep it self running. We went back to the rim to the same parking lot and space we had occupied the night before. I followed my tracks back to the rim much to my surprise there was no railing around the rim only a line of rocks such as the one I had tripped over the night before. My boot print was clearing visible at the very edge of a shear drop of a thousand feet or more. I think that night was a good learning experience for me maybe I began to wake up.
We never did find work. Steve asked me to take him back to California which I did. I went back to Tucson looking for the adventure I seemed to crave.

No comments: